I’m not a huge dessert person, but far be it from me to turn down a coffee or a chunk of dark chocolate. These two definitely top my list of what I can’t live without. Ok…I guess I could…but why would I do that to myself and those around me. As I was thinking of a dessert for the holidays, or anytime really, I thought why not combine my two loves? And so I played around in the kitchen and the result was this delicious coffee affogato with hazelnut fudge.
What is an affogato?
You may be wondering what exactly is an affogato? An affogato is an Italian coffee dessert combining gelato drowned in a shot of espresso. Man, the Italians know their stuff when it comes to food. They unequivocally solved the dilemma of coffee or dessert after dinner. Genius!
How to make an affogato
You truly only need two ingredients for a classic affogato…ice cream or gelato and espresso. Here I opted to use really strong brewed coffee as I do not have an espresso machine and let me tell you it turned out perfectly.
What other additions, aside from hazelnut fudge, work well in an affogato?
You could add a boozy twist to an affogato by adding your favorite liqueur such as Frangelico or Amaretto. To make it holiday festive the idea of mint liqueur and crushed peppermint sticks really makes my mouth water. Another idea is to make a s’mores version and sip it fireside. I think we all know where this is going…more affogatos to come on Wholly Nourished.
For this version I opted to up the decadence factor and added in a homemade hazelnut fudge sauce. Let me say it DID NOT DISAPPOINT so I just had to share. Since Frangelico is a hazelnut liquor suffice it to say that liqueur would work well here resulting in a lovely Frangelico affogato with hazelnut fudge.
Coffee Affogato with Hazelnut Fudge
- 1/2 c. coconut sugar
- 1/4 c. cacao powder
- 1/4 c. hazelnut spread look for a vegan version to keep it vegan
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbsp. arrowroot starch or powder
- 6 Tbsp. coffee grounds
- 2 cups water
- For the hazelnut fudge:
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a saucepan and place on a stovetop over medium hight heat. Stir constantly until combined.
- Once boiling stir in the arrowroot starch.
- Reduce heat and simmer 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- For the coffee:
- Brew strong coffee using 6TBSP of coffee and 2 cups of water. Set aside.
- To assemble:
- Place 1c. of vanilla bean ice cream in four dessert dishes.
- Pour 2oz. of coffee atop each scoop of ice cream.
- Top with a generous drizzle of the Hazelnut Fudge Sauce.
- Finish with chopped hazelnuts.